Safety & Health
The safety and health of miners and employees is of primary importance for CalCIMA member companies. CalCIMA’s Safety & Health Committee works to provide additional resources for member companies to protect miners and employees at surface mines, plants, and while delivering materials. Below are some of the committee’s activities:
- Promoting legislation to require back-up alarms on materials delivery trucks (SB 341-Lowenhtal, PL. #2011-235).
- Conducting annual Spring Thaw Safety Conferences on mine and plant safety.
- Training materials and resources on safety best practices for trucks at mine sites, working around concrete pumps, Part 46 miner training, and mine contractors.
- Standardized truck safety signs for mine sites.
- Annual Excellence in Safety Awards program. This recognizes safety at aggregate, mineral, concrete, asphalt, and cement plants. There are also individual awards for mine and plant personnel and safety managers.
- Regular liaison meetings with the Mine Safety & Health Administration and Cal/OSHA’s Mining & Tunneling Unit.